Amethyst is a popular and relatively rare form of quartz. It’s a fairly hard gem and can be found within geodes all across the globe. Amethyst is usually available in crystal form or as a mass. Its lovely purple color may come from trace amounts of iron or manganese in its crystal lattice. Many stones on the market are not naturally colored; they are often heat treated to produce a darker shade of purple.
Throughout history, the purple, lilac, and lavender amethyst crystal have been associated with royalty. The crystals have also been used for a variety of health conditions throughout the ages, ranging from alcohol addiction and sleep disorders to pain and mental dysfunction. While research has yet to conclude that amethyst actually helps decrease symptoms associated with these health issues, emerging data displays amethyst as a powerful compound possibly helpful for detoxification.
How Can Amethyst Help You?
Amethyst produces small but detectable of magnetic fields. While high levels of magnetic fields are dangerous (particularly from electronics), the naturally-occurring magnetic fields from amethyst may actually produce favorable results in the body. Since the human body has its own magnetic field, proponents believe that amethyst interacts and exchanges energy with the body. The stone also absorbs and reflects far-infrared radiation, a type of long-wavelength radiation. Although controversial, far-infrared radiation is currently being studied for a variety of health benefits for the human body. Eight of these health benefits include:
1. Cell Regeneration Far-infrared radiation is known to support healthy cell growth and regeneration. Scientific studies have shown that increasing infrared radiation may correspondingly increase energy levels in the body. This increase in energy is designed to promote the growth of healthy cells, possibly aiding in whole body growth. Currently, the majority of experiments that verify these findings have been conducted with animals; however, results indicate that similar activity may occur in humans.
2. Sleep Support We also know from experiments with animals and humans that far-infrared regulation may modulate sleep patterns. The low level of heat emitted by amethyst crystals may help provide a sense of calm for the body, possibly providing favorable effects for supporting a healthy sleep cycle.
3. Blood Circulation Far-infrared radiation has been shown to aid blood circulation, particularly microcirculation among the capillaries in the skin. For a time, scientists believed that the circulation benefit from far-infrared radiation was related to infrared heat. A recent study, however, showed that it actually wasn’t heat but the radiation itself that contributed to improved circulation.
4. Fluid Motility Blood is not the only bodily fluid that improves in circulation ability in response to far-infrared radiation. The radiation increases the motility of lymph fluid and may support normal fluid balance in tissues.
5. Mood Support In one recent study, far infrared radiation-emitting discs were placed under the pillows of subjects during sleep. Subjects with the radiation-emitting discs hidden underneath their pillows reported a statistically significant increase in overall life satisfaction. This was in direct comparison with those who had a placebo disc.
6. Antioxidant Activity Almost everyone has heard the buzz about antioxidants, and most of the population is aware of the general health benefits associated with these natural compounds. Research indicates that exposure to far-infrared radiation may increase antioxidant activity within certain foods.
7. Wound Support Far-infrared radiation may also promote repair mechanisms in skin tissue, especially for patients with diabetes-induced skin damage. Skin damage related to chronic and acute conditions and reconstructive surgeries may also benefit.
8. Bacteria Fighter Last but not least, science shows that far-infrared radiation may aid in inhibiting bacterial growth by hindering the actions of certain growth-promoting enzymes. Scientists have found that it is far-infrared radiation specifically, and not merely the heat, which inhibits the growth of some bacteria in the body. Regular heat therapy doesn’t seem to offer the same effect.
These are only a few of the many possible benefits of far-infrared radiation via amethyst gemstone.